Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Welcome to my Chile blog!

Hello, all--

Instead of a mass email, I've decided to start a blog for all the happenings here in Chile. Please feel free to visit often and leave comments for me--I love comments.

This week in Santiago we volunteers are being trained on how to be effective language teachers. For me it's mostly review of all the pedagogy classes I had when I was an undergrad, but it's a good reminder of all the tools I have to work with. Today was the first day of classes, we have tomorrow and Thursday, then on Friday we're off to our placements.

Another volunteer Gayle (the one who was with me the whole day as we rode around in the back of the carabineros' car when my camera was stolen from around my neck) and I are going to a little town called Santa María. She's teaching in grades 1-8, and I'm teaching in the high school.

As volunteers we're only supposed to help out the regular ESL teacher. So I add listening comprehension and speaking activities to the material the teacher is teaching. I also help the teacher herself practice her English. Apparently on Thursday we'll get to meet our cooperating teachers and start planning a little bit here in Santiago before we each head to our placements.

I'm off for now. I will have my Chilean SIM card in my phone starting Friday, but I'm thinking that I'll put my U.S. SIM card in on Sundays. The rumor is that it's incredibly expensive to call a Chilean cell phone from outside of Chile, so it seems like it will be easier for everyone if I have that card in on that day when I'll want to talk to people from home. Just in case, though, this is my Chilean phone number:
01156 7 866 3710

Abrazos a todos,

Linz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing if I know how to use a blog. So I'm old... what can I say. :) Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Linz;

You must not have much time to work on your blog since I don't see anything new.

There was a news spot on Yahoo that said that a lake in Chile the size of 10 soccer fields dissapeared in a two-month period of time ... strange happenings in Chile ....

You should be in your little town by now. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the city and how things in school are working out.

Hope you are having a great time.

JR in Emmett

Anonymous said...

Linz;

Jason sent your mom an email a little while ago and said he hasn't been able to get hold of you. He's a bit worried.

Dad