Saturday, July 7, 2007

Sick in Santa Maria (Edited)

Hello, all--

Today is the first day in two days I´ve been out of the house. I caught the cold that all the volunteers and many Chileans have been getting, so I remained in bed with "mi marido", not going to work. Luckily, of the volunteers I have one of the best host families, and my host mother has done everything to make sure I get well, including meals and tea in bed, medicine, and anything else you could think of. They´ve been giving me all-natural cough medicine usually administered to children made from avocadoes and honey since I´m allergic to certain types of cough medicines. My host mom and sister also think I´m a little strange because I´ve been sucking on Halls for my throat, sold here (with the same ingredients) as breath mints. At least they´re easy to come by, even if I get made fun of!

Also, my U.S. SIM is not working properly and won´t let me call anyone; my Chilean SIM card has completely run out and won´t let me recharge it, so if you´re going to call me, please do so using my U.S. number. I can receive calls, and I can send and receive texts, but like I said, for the moment I can´t call out. I may have to go to San Felipe tomorrow to figure out the whole Chilean SIM business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola Linz

Hope you're feeling better soon. I visited Gran and Ed today they're pretty excited to hear about your travels. Virgie forwarded them a print out of one your entries. I'll try and do the same on occasion.

Those stories are great - keep them coming!

John and Holly

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, We got home late but will call in the morning as soon as we can!!!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better. Take care and try to stay warm. Love, Virgie

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, you need to tell people to put 011 in front of your number. We've tried calling twice today and can't get thru. Mom