Saturday, August 18, 2007

De Vuelta

As of yesterday, I am officially back on U.S. soil, and I have mixed feelings about it. Like I planned I have taken extra long, extra hot showers and have stood in the sun and soaked up the heat. I forbid anyone around me to complain about the weather; there are air conditioned houses and cars that can alleviate any suffering one might feel from a little humidity.

It's also nice to see friends again and be able to talk to family on the phone without having to worry about minutes or how much it's going to cost. I've missed all of you, and it's been nice to be able to talk to so many of you while I was on the other side of the world. Another thank you to those who sent me packages while I was there as well.

What I miss about Chile is the cariño with which everyone treats each other. We're so distant as North Americans. I love the kiss you give someone when you say hello or goodbye. I love that you have to have a conversation with someone before you can ask them a favor. I love how when people ask how you are, you really tell them. While I may put off some people, I hope to keep some of those customs with me here in the States.

I'm working on some kind of inter-school project now between Killeen High School and Liceo Darío Salas. I'd like to start a penpal exchange, or something along those lines, where my students here in the U.S. can practice their Spanish and the students in Chile can practice their English, and hopefully make some friends and broaden their horizons in the process. I'll keep ya'll posted (notice the ya'll...I'm definitely back in Texas).

Again, thanks to everyone for keeping up with me. This has been a fantastic experience.

Linz

1 comment:

Chou said...

Hooray! You're back! I hope that the sun just fills you up to the brim to make up for the general "froideur" of us Americans. :)

Bisous!